How It Works
1. Set aside five minutes right before your next meeting with a coworker, direct report, client, or your child. (We know it's probably not a meeting if it's with your kid, but we've heard it still works!)
2. Start off by closing your eyes and taking a few deep breaths to clear your thoughts. Then, ask yourself:
- Who am I meeting with next?
- What matters to them?
- What challenges does s/he have that I can help with?
3. Make a commitment to bring this new perspective to your meeting. Then, use it to provide this person with one thing that will better support his/her needs.
4. After your meeting, take a few minutes to reflect on how things went. Were you able to create a new connection with this person? Do you have a better understanding of who they are and how you can help them?