How It Works
1. Set aside 30-60min with each of your direct reports or team members and walk through these 5 questions courtesy of Inc:
- What do you like about your job?
- Could you describe a good day at work that you recently had?
- Do you feel your skills are being utilized to the fullest?
- Do you feel you get properly recognized for doing good work?
- Do you feel like you are treated with respect?
2. As they respond to each question, approach the conversation like you are just getting to know them. Ask open ended follow up questions and try to understand how they view their role at the company and how that fits into their broader career goals.
3. At the end of the conversation, pick one thing that you can do immediately to support your team member in improving their work experience. Is there something about their job that they love that you can give them more of? Are there opportunities opening up for them to utilize more of their skill set? Is there something more you can do to recognize their contributions?
4. Once you've completed these chats with your entire team, take 10 minutes to reflect on what you heard. Were there any consistent patterns across the team? If so, what role might you be playing in contributing to those patterns and how might you behave differently to improve the overall team experience?