How It Works
1. Make a list of the top 5-10 things you preach as a leader and believe are truly critical to success. These are the one-liners you drop all the time -- the standards you are constantly reiterating to your team. Examples include things like, "being on time is a sign of respect" and "inclusion is a top priority."
2. Review your list in #1 and identify instances where your team's behavior is inconsistent with each of the items you preach. Ask yourself:
- Are there any situations where I am tolerating behaviors that don’t align with these standards?
To build on the example above, one might think: "Being on time is important but I tolerate people showing up 15 minutes late without a reasonable excuse."
3. For items identified in #2, examine whether YOUR behavior is consistent with what you preach. For example it’s one thing to expect the team to be on time and stay silent when they’re late. It’s another thing when you expect your team to show up on time and you are always late.
4. Based on your analysis in #2 and #3, select one thing you can do differently to make the things you preach a true priority for your team. Ask yourself:
- How am I going to personally change my behavior to be more consistent with our success standards?
- How am I going to respond to my team differently when their behavior doesn’t align with our standards?